Sunday, July 1, 2012

Initial Impressions of 6th edition

So, I've managed to get in a pair of games since the release of the 6th edition 40k rulebook.

The first game was my normal 1500 pt mechanized death skulls trukk list against IG.  The second was a smaller 1000 point game with my orks against a dark eldar wyche cult.

Overall, I think that 6th edition has actually buffed the majority of my ork army.  The fact that my trukks and battlewagon can move 12 inches in the movement phase and then the occupants can snap fire in the shooting phase has lead to a drastic increase in the army's firepower, while really having no effect on mobility.  In fact, with the wagon being able to keep up with the trukks in movement, it's actually sped the army up somewhat.

Granted, since I run shootas in my trukks, I don't exactly run a standard ork list.  I would not be surprised to start seeing more trukk or wagon lists with shootas instead of sluggas, especially with the changes to furious charge meaning orks pretty much always go last against everyone in assault.  Snap fire really has a very minimal effect on ork shooting.

The major downside that I've seen so far is my nob squad.  The loss of would allocation and the nerf to feel no pain has really hurt their longevity in games.  Given that my typical nobs under 5th ranged from 31 to 56 points each (depending on wargear),  I'm beginning to feel that they simply aren't cost effective; they die too quickly to normal shooting and assault.

1 comment:

  1. Not quite as valuable against torrents of fire, but at least it works against power weapons and plasma fire now. My Hive Tyrant was loving it earlier.

    ReplyDelete